In preparation for the upcoming holiday travel season, Yeager Airport would like to remind passengers to be prepared for the increased passenger volume at the airport.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has recently announced that they are expecting a 4% increase in holiday travel over last year. Airports are expected to screen more than 26.8 million passengers and airline crew members during the busy holiday season.
Travelers should plan to see an influx of traffic on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day and the Sunday after the holiday. To keep up with the influx of traffic, airlines in the U.S. are expected to add around 850 extra flights.
Yeager Airport has some tips for dealing with the crowds:
- Arrive at the airport early. We suggest at least 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time to ensure you’re at your gate in time for boarding.
- Those picking up passengers should utilize the free 20-minute lot which is available for use while you wait for your loved one. Please do not park along Airport Road or curbside.
- We encourage passengers to sign up for trusted traveler programs such as TSA Pre✓®. The program allows travelers to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bag in a carry-on, in select TSA airport checkpoint screening lanes.
- Passengers should review all rules for carry-ons in advance of their flight at: https://www.tsa.gov/.
- Please check yeagerairport.com as well as facebook.com/flyCRW for airport updates, and with your airline regarding possible delays.
As a reminder, beginning October 1, 2020, it will be mandatory that air travelers flying within the United States present a Real ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of identification such as a passport or military ID. To get the REAL ID gold star, West Virginia residents will have to appear at their local DMV in person with the required documents. There is a ten-dollar surcharge in addition to standard fees to get the new license. A standard license without the gold star will not be a valid option to enter the TSA checkpoint after October 1, 2020.
We hope you have a safe and happy holiday season and thank you for Flying CRW!